1938 guide to dating for single women
17) and that the abbey was founded within her territories and was endowed by Leofric with lands in Warwickshire and elsewhere. 25) and with the area of about 1,000 acres contained by the boundary described in Richard II's charter of 1399, which included the suburbs then existing. 26) The abbey's endowments in the neighbourhood of Coventry were distinguished in 1086 as Binley and the greater part of Coundon and of Sowe. 27) There is thus no evidence in Domesday that the abbey then held any lands, apart from its own precinct, within Coventry. 28) Soon after 1086 the whole city was granted to the earls of Chester, (fn.
29) but by 1113 the priory (as the abbey had become between 10) was claiming a 'half' of Coventry (fn. The rest of the town remaining to the earls of Chester formed part of what later was called the Earl's Half.
It is therefore desirable that at the outset they and other significant aspects of Coventry's history should be described in outline. 21) and were then being farmed of the king by one Nicholas. 24) then the area of Coventry in 1086 was about 1,000 acres.
Before the making of the Domesday Survey there is no recorded mention of any individual place in the district of Coventry except Coventry itself, although it is clear from the evidence of place-names that many of the surrounding hamlets were, like Coventry, of Saxon origin. 15) About 1043 a Benedictine house, consisting of an abbot and 24 monks, was founded there by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, and the Countess Godgifu (Godiva), his wife. 16) It is highly probable that the whole of Coventry belonged to Godiva in her own right, (fn. This figure may be compared with the 200 or so acres enclosed within the 14th-century walls (fn.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. formerly in Knightlow Hundred, is situated in the north-east of the county of Warwick and on the south-east fringe of the region once covered by the Forest of Arden.
After Bishop Robert's death in 1117 the monks took advice from Westminster and produced their series of forged charters which included Leofric's supposed foundation charter and confirmations of his grant by Edward the Confessor and Pope Alexander II (106173), dated 1043.
1147 the priory obtained Stephen's confirmation, thus making doubly secure a position already accepted by both king and pope.
The division into 'halves' resulted in a prolonged period of rivalry between the priory and the lay lords of the Earl's Half, whose seat came to be the manor-house of Cheylesmore on the southern side of the town. 35) At first the priory enjoyed the greater power and prosperity but after the mid 13th century its supremacy began to decline in the face of increased hostility from the tenants of the Earl's Half and later the determined opposition of Queen Isabel who came into possession of the manor of Coventry, now called the manor of Cheylesmore, in 1330.
Within the town the two halves were divided, according to Earl Hugh (II)'s charter to the priory of . 31) by a line running along the east-west axis of the town.
The Prior's Half lay to the north, excluding the castle, and the Earl's Half lay to the south.